Saturday, July 11, 2009

Soooo, what's the procedure when you break the fifth string nut on a banjo? My brother and I were playing the other day and the left side of the fifth string nut on his banjo snapped off and flew across the room. >:( He found the broken piece but we have no idea how to fix it. I was wondering if there is some way for us to fix it or if we just have to take it in and have somebody who knows what they're doing do it for us.

If anyone has some answers I would appreciate to hear from you.:)

Have you ever tried to take a picture of a banjo with a scanner?

4 comments:

Jeannette said...

My husband says: you might try gluing the piece back on with CA glue (superglue or crazyglue); probably won't hold but worth trying if you have the piece. If you can get a grip on the broken nut, see if it will twist out or turn. if it turns, turn it 90 degrees and cut a new slot for the string, or remove it and put a screw in its place or have a repair person do it. You could also google banjo nut repair, there are many generous luthiers and such that teach things on the web. good luck!

puddle jumper said...

Hey. I've got a camera for sale. I bought it in 2008, a canon rebel xt eos. I bought it for a photography class, and I like it, but it's just not convenient for taking with me to events and stuff where I want to take snapshots. It's in really good condition. the only thing that is wrong with it is that one of the prongs was bent down in the memory cartridge port; i straightened it out but since haven't taken the cartridge out and just download the pics to my computer, which works better for me anyway. i'm trying to sell it to buy a more convenient camera. i'm asking 350 to 400 (I paid 600 for it). It you're interested just let me know. you need to keep those pretty pictures coming!:)

Lucille said...

You could ask these people:

http://banjoist.tripod.com/5thnut1.htm

or these:

http://www.frets.com/fretspages/musician/Banjo/5thNut/5thnut.html

Fred & Leon said...

I will show this to Kyle, and see what he says. He always has wisdom on these subjects. I don't think they are coming over tonight, but maybe tomorrow. I'll have to see. Have you tried to do anything to fix it?
~Alysha